Thursday, October 8, 2009

Books 57 - 61 & Read For The Record Day

I thought Read For The Record Day would be a good time to catch up on my books. This event is a worldwide campaign to share the joy of reading with children, and this year's book was The Very Hungry Caterpillar.

When I was young, and my parents lived in my grandparent's basement after they moved back to this state, my grandfather used to read to me every morning before he went to work. I can't say I even have any really clear memories of it, but I've never lost my love of reading, so I know firsthand that this kind of effort really can make a lifelong difference =)

#57
Kitty Takes A Holiday
Kitty Norville Book 3
Carrie Vaughn

Hmm, of course these books get harder & harder to talk about without spoilers the farther it goes ... I'll just say that she didn't take the vacation I was expecting & half hoping for (with one of the characters from the last book), and the vacation she did take was not a very restful one. Which I guess is good, since that would probably have made a pretty boring book LOL.

#58
Kitty And the Silver Bullet
Kitty Norville Book 4
Carrie Vaughn

In this book, Kitty tries to fly under the radar when she heads back to the home she's been basically exiled from in response to her mother's sudden illness, but she's not too good at going unnoticed. She has to choose between running, leaving her family, or making a stand and getting involved in the local supernatural politics.

#59
Mean Streets
Anthology

I didn't make it all the way through this one, but I'm giving myself credit because I honestly did try ... but I only really got this for 1 out of the four novellas (the one by Jim Butcher), and I ended up reading 2, but the others I just couldn't get through, before I had to return this ... and I don't think I'll ever bother to get it again to finish them either.

#60
The Storm Witch
Dhulyn & Parno Book 3
Violette Malan

I love this author, and I really wish she had more books =( Dhulyn & Parno are Mercenary Brothers (although Dhulyn IS a girl, she's still a Brother), and before they can wrap up the loose ends & issues left over from the last book, they're roped into a quest pretty much clear across the world. But they're badass of course, so nothing they can't handle =)


#61
Kitty And the Dead Man's Hand
Kitty Norville Book 5
Carrie Vaughn

I think this title must be a reference to something I don't know, because most of the other titles have been self-explanatory or at least obvious by the end of the book. She goes to Vegas in this one, maybe it's a reference to something there? I've never been ... hmmm, if anyone happens to know, drop a comment.

That's what I've finished up until now ... I kind of wonder if I'll even hit 100 books by the end of the year. For those of you who think that's a ridiculous goal, it's not that so much as knowing last year I ended up reading 130. So I feel behind, even though I'm reading pretty much everything I want to. Just not as much time to explore new authors I guess. Thanks for reading.

~Colette

3 comments:

  1. I get so mad at myself for not reading more. I'm on this computer for hours and hours. If I don't read everyone's blog I feel horrible. I should be reading all of my books. I have so many lists of books I want to read. I would need ten lifetimes to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "Dead Man's Hand" is poker terminology so it suits Las Vegas very well. :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_man's_hand
    I hope you're enjoying those one's, they were a really fun series!
    I think I have about 12 books from the library right now that I need to read *sigh* so many books, so little time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LUCY - I know the feeling - if I'm caught up with one thing, I'm behind on another, and when I get caught up with that behind with a third thing!

    BLUEYEZ - Thank you! Now my curiosity can rest LOL. I have Kitty Raises Hell in my to-read stack, but I'm in the middle of another one I was actually looking more forward to ... so little time indeed =)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I will read every comment, and try to respond to any questions =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...