Monday, February 9, 2009

China Glaze Ruby Pumps vs. Maybelline Red Comet

EDIT: Thanks to wixbetty for catching me calling Ruby Pumps by the wrong name (Ruby Slippers). I've fixed it throughout the post.

So, another comparison - and BETTER this time, I have 2 nails of each color lol. Looking for reds to borrow my friend for Valentine's Day, I came across the Maybelline & thought I'd do some swatching when I started to take off my CG. In the bottle, these 2 are pretty close:


And on the nail (apologies for the lazy cleanup). Red Comet is on my index & ring finger Ruby Pumps on ring & pinkie:



Looks like a pretty good dupe to me! Although I think Ruby Pumps has just a tad more glitter & there are some slight differences in the formula. Ruby Pumps was only I think 3 coats, where the Red Comet took 5 coats to look this good. Also, Red Comet was a little smoother, it only took 1 layer of top coat where Ruby Pumps needed 2 to be smooth & not gritty.

I'll be taking this off & doing a "real" mani this evening, but probably won't post up pics of the new NOTD until tomorrow. So, until then, thanks for reading!

~Colette

6 comments:

  1. Your nails are so perfect, I know everyone will want at least one of these.

    Just for clarification-
    and to save some frustration,
    is the China Glaze named "Ruby Pumps"
    or "Ruby Slippers"?

    TIA! =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH, I also got a Ruby Pumps dupe, or possable dupe I should say, from Dollar Tree. Maybe I should do a little comparison for my blog tonight to see how close they are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a really good dup!
    Great nails, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WIXBETTY - Good catch! I've been calling it the wrong thing in my head every since my grandma said it was obviously inspired by Dorothy's ruby slippers - I will correct it right now.

    BROOKE - I'd love to see it! If I had more free time, it would be fun to have a spreadsheet just dealing with dupes.

    NESSA - Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I looked at the "dupe" I had, it was Maybelline Red Comet - lol! Well, good to know that it is a dupe since you tested it out already :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. BROOKE - too funny! I wonder how long ago Maybelline actually came out with that color, and it's interesting that at least some of the time our Dollar Trees are carrying similar items.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I will read every comment, and try to respond to any questions =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...