Sunday, January 3, 2010

Final 2009 Books: 68-77

Believe it or not, this was a slow reading year for me. I've said it before, but if you're a new reader, I read 130 books in 2008, so not even hitting 80 in 2009 was a huge personal disappointment for me. Well, maybe not huge, but I was disgruntled, believe it. My goal for 2010 is 100 books, which would be about 2 a week. I'm already off on a good foot, I finished my first book day before yesterday on the 1st. But before I can start to tell you about my 2010 books, I've got to finish up 2009 =)

You may have noticed a little Amazon link showed up over in my affiliate section in the right sidebar - starting with this post, if you're interested to purchase any of what I'm currently reading, the titles & book covers will be click-able for you to purchase through Amazon.com. I personally get the vast majority of my books from my local library, but if you're the type who likes to own their favorites, please consider starting here, as a little commission on my end would be pretty sweet =) If you are another heavy-using library patron & only care about the reviews, the links will be pretty unobtrusive & easy to ignore.

Last thing before the books is, I'm put up a poll (which I haven't for a while ) - I'm curious, how many books did YOU read over the past year? Are you pleased with what you read, wish you'd read more, feel like you wasted your time & should have read less? Please vote & feel free to leave a comment. Now on to the books:

Must Love Hellhounds#68
Anthology

This anthology featured stories by Charlaine Harris, Nalini Singh, Ilona Andrews, and Meljean Brooks.

I mainly got it because I wanted to read the Charlaine Harris story, but I actually ended up liking that one least.  The Ilona Andrews story turned out to be my favorite, set in her Kate Daniels' universe but featuring one of her friends, Andrea.  This short fit really neatly into the established storyline - something which unfortunately isn't always true & can really lose an author points with me.

The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 3)#69
Percy Jackson & the Olympians Book 3
Rick Riordan

At first I thought I saw where this book was going, then there were a few turns & I started to doubt myself, then in the end it turned out I was right in the first place LOL.  The movie based on the first book in this series comes out in I think February, I would like to have finished the series by then, I think I have 2 books to go at this point.

Gwenhwyfar: The White Spirit (A Novel of King Arthur) (Arthurian Novel)#70
Mercedes Lackey

This is an Arthurian tale, and while I can't claim to have read very many, I quite enjoyed this one.  Might have something to do with the fact that Lackey is one of my favorite authors LOL, I don't ever really have to worry about disliking one of her books.

Fantasy#71
Anthology

This anthology featured stories by Christine Feehan, Sabrina Jeffries, Emma Holly & Elda Minger.

I picked this up for the Emma Holly short - as it is the story that started one of her series - but most of the rest were OK.  Christine Feehan is not my favorite, although she seems to be pretty popular because I've run across her stuff in anthologies before.

Lucinda, Dangerously (Demon Princess)#72
Demon Princess Chronicles Book 2
Sunny

The demon princess with a heart of gold, if that isn't too hard to believe.  This book finds her stripped of her powers & imprisoned.  This series is a spin off from Sunny's other series, the Monere.

Moon Awakening (Children of the Moon, Book 1)#73
Children of the Moon Book 1
Lucy Monroe

This is the first paranormal book of Lucy Monroe's that I've read, and I think she handled herself pretty well.  The Children of the Moon are - no surprise here I'm sure =) - werewolves.  Seems like usually you find werewolves in a more modern, urban setting, but this is actually set a few hundred years ago in Scotland.

Never After#74
Anthology

This anthology featured stories by Laurell. K. Hamilton, Yasmine Galenorn, Marjorie M. Liu, & Sharon Shin.

The weirdest part of this book, the part I (sadly) remember most at this point, is that it s not standard size.  It was a paperback, but it was a little narrower & an inch or two taller than most paperbacks.  I couldn't quite figure out what the point of that was, other than making it so that it wouldn't fit neatly on a bookshelf LOL

The other disappointment was that, despite the fact that she had top billing & her name is literally bigger than the title of the book, Laurell K. Hamilton's story was less than 40 pages.  Of a book that was nearly 400 pages., with only 4 short stories.  To say I was miffed is an understatement, I mean come on!  That's kind of like false advertisement.

Kitty Raises Hell (Kitty Norville, Book 6)#75
Kitty Norville Book 6
Carrie Vaughn

In the last book, during her trip to Vegas, Kitty managed to piss a few people off - as usual I guess you could say, but these particular people decided to take their vengeance through a being that at first appears to be a demon.

First Lord's Fury (Codex Alera, Book 6)#76
The Codex Alera, Book 6
Jim Butcher

Ah, this book was bittersweet for me, I'd been waiting for it for about a year, anxious to see what happened next, but it's also the final book of the series, so I'm sad there won't be any more.  I always want to know what happens next, so maybe I'm never really satisfied when a story ends LOL.  This ending came close though, everything came together in the end & there were several last minute twists that I didn't see coming, unexpected confrontations & some that I'd been looking forward to that never ended up happening.  I think The Codex Alera is my favorite series I've read in a long time, maybe ever.  I can only hope Jim Butcher picks another story to tell in this world.

Hot for the Holidays#77
Anthology

This anthology featured stories by Lora Leigh, Angela Knight, Anya Bast & Allyson James.

I'd actually been on the waitlist for this one since last Christmas I think LOL, the timing was pretty good that I got it in time for the holidays this year.  Just a quick read, filler while I waited for a few other things that were in transit.

There are sooo many books I'm looking forward to in the next year =)  Here's to meeting & beating my goal.  Thanks for reading.

~Colette

6 comments:

  1. I think you've got great taste in books Colette! At least it's very similar to mine ;P I think I probably read about the same number of books as you last year which is also not as much as normal for me. Although sometimes I'll read stupid amounts and then other times I'll go weeks without picking up a book. I tend to buy a lot of books but I am trying to use the library more. Especially since I don't really like to re-read many books. It's easier on the wallet too and I have a nail polish obsession to finance! Heheh :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man... I just counted and I only read 12 books in 2008. That's a lot less than normal. It's one of my goals this new year to read more. I read all genres but think my favs are chick lit and historical fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have probably read only 12+ books this year. That makes me really sick. I used to read just as much as you. I got a computer about 3 years ago and reading went way down. I'm so addicted to this thing. Damn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BLUEYEZ - I am starting out pretty slow so far this year, but I have a couple that I'm REALLY looking forward to & will probably read quickly, so hopefully that will get me back on track.

    AMANDA - I think I read pretty much all genres too, although my favorite would have to be fantasy. I think I'll start making a note of what genre a book is when I start my posts for 2010 =)

    LUCY - Hey, online reading counts too! LOL it's just harder to keep track of in numbers =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I gotta tell ya I LOVE Jim Butcher's "The Dresden Files". I'm on book 4 and I am HOOKED due to your reviews. The plots and character development get better with each book. Thanks so much for the reviews. Keep them coming! Love the nails too! =)
    Leone

    ReplyDelete
  6. DICEY1 - so glad you're enjoying them! Jim Butcher stays in my top 3 authors always no matter who I'm reading at the moment =)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I will read every comment, and try to respond to any questions =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...