Monday, January 26, 2009

Confessions of a Bookworm

It says right up top: "Nails, novels & other stuff that makes me happy." So where, you may be wondering, are these supposed novels?

I confess that sometimes my other hobbies get in the way of reading, and sometimes I get irritated with myself for being so easily distracted. Even though I have already read 5 books so far this year, a part of me feels a little bad because last year at this point I had already read 11 books.

Actually keeping a list & tracking how much I read came about basically from people at work teasing me. "How many books did you read this week?" Ha. Ha. Except it actually did get me to wondering. I knew I read 2-3 books a week most of the time, but I had never really tried to keep track before over a longer period of time. So, at the begining of 2008, I started keeping a list, and at the end of the year my grand total was (insert drumroll here): 130 books. I even impressed myself a little, surpassing my initial estimate of 100 books.

This part of my blog is still a work in progres. I mean, I'm getting a comfort level with the polish-related stuff, I'm doing better than I thought I would, but how much rambling about books will be tolerated in between? What kind of info should I include? What ... are other people posting on this subject?! And so it dawned on me: there are probably as many if not more book blogs as nail blogs. Why in the world hadn't it occured to me before to check them out?

So I did. And it was good. And you'll notice my "other blogs" little section is no longer so little. In fact, the book blogs may need their own little area like the nail blogs soon. On one of them (Bookish Ruth actually) I found a little quiz (I love online quizzes, so often they're just spot-on accurate), which I think summed it up nicely:

What Kind of Reader Are You?
Your Result: Dedicated Reader

You are always trying to find the time to get back to your book. You are convinced that the world would be a much better place if only everyone read more.

Obsessive-Compulsive Bookworm
Literate Good Citizen
Book Snob
Fad Reader
Non-Reader
What Kind of Reader Are You?
Quiz Created on GoToQuiz

That is so me.

Anyway, my main distraction to date this year has been reading blogs, writing my own blog, and shopping for polish that I suddenly realize I must have after seeing swatches. But I have managed to get a few books in & here's what they were:

#1:
Fish Out of Water
Book 3 of Fred the Mermaid
MaryJanice Davidson







#2:
No Rest for the Witches
Anthology








#3:
Moving Targets & Other Tales of Valdemar
Anthology
Edited by Mercedes Lackey







#4:
1st to Die
Book 1 of the Women's Murder Club
James Patterson







#5:
2nd Chance
Book 2 of the Women's Murder Club
James Patterson & Andrew Gross







Next on my list is the rest of the Women's Murder Club series. I started these books because my friend quit smoking & started reading instead, so to support her I decided I would read what she was reading so we can talk about it.

I can't say I intend to post reviews of every book I read, kind of like you don't catch me swatching whole polish collections - there are other people who do it better in both cases. But you'll probably catch me waxing poetic on some of my favorites, as I do with my favorite manicures. I can admit that almost every post I've made has turned out longer than I thought it was going to be when I started.

So. Maybe new record for longest post, and maybe not even on anything you care about if you've come looking for some NOTD. But I've been reading even longer than I've been painting my nails. And! Since I usually get all my books from the library, it's a much cheaper simple little pleasure than my nails tend to be.

If you're still with me, please feel free to let me know what you think! (Or even just what's on your mind ^^ ) That always goes, but especially for this first book post. And, as always, thanks for reading.

~Colette

3 comments:

  1. I an a reader too, since my son though my book reading has been cut way down. I would like to see some book reviews, but like i said, i like to read. plus it is your blog,I say post what you want, that's what makes your blog unique:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Colette, I love to read also. I love the books from MaryJanice Davidson. Will have to read the 3rd mermaid book. Unfortunately I'm on the computer so much I don't do as much reading. shame on me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BROOKE - Thanks - knowing that even just one person is enjoying it makes it worth the effort.

    LUCY - I know the feeling! I really didn't expect blogging to be quite this addictive. I think I'm going to have to cut back on sleep to fit in more reading time lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I will read every comment, and try to respond to any questions =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...