Saturday, June 26, 2010

NOTD: 4th of July Water Marble

I wanted to do something for the 4th, and also to play with a new marbling technique that makes stripes in the water that I discovered while experimenting.  I really like how this turned out, although I did get some bubbling ... not sure if that was because I was doing 2 nails at a time or what, because the nails with the least bubbles are my thumbs, which I did individually.

I used all Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear colors - Cherry Red, Blue It & White On.  I picked up the red maybe a week ago at Target specifically to use for this actually.  My favorite nails for this marble are the thumbs, not just because they don't have bubbles but the stripes are the best:


I was going to redo my middle right because it came out crooked & everything else was even but in the end I just left it & funny enough I got lots of compliments on that particular nail LOL, so maybe I'll see about doing a mani where all the nails aim for that part of the design.

Here is the tutorial:


One note, that I forgot to talk about in the tutorial, is that in this case it really does make a difference the order you drip the polish.  I originally tried blue > red > white > repeat & the red bled into the white & turned it pink (below left).  So I switched the order to red > blue > white (below right) & the white stayed white.  Once again, water marbling takes PRACTICE!  I know I don't show my marbling fails very often but please believe they happen LOL.  Thankfully they usually happen when I'm practicing on paper & not actually when I'm doing a manicure:


I am fast approaching my 500th post!  & really, what better way to celebrate than stash pics?  =)  The Zoyas pushed me over the 1,000 bottle mark.  I'll be taking a ton of pics, and maybe a video, although I'm doubtful my camera can handle that much moving around (because it sucks ...  because there is no refocusing, zooming or anything else once you start recording ...) so that may need to wait until I buy a new camera or even a digital camcorder.  I haven't quite decided yet, I'm trying to educate myself LOL so I actually get something good.  Any suggestions you want to drop in comments or email would be appreciated =)

Thanks for reading.

~Colette

31 comments:

  1. I love this design! You're super talented and I enjoy your tutorials and designs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this is so cool looking! I just favorited your vid so I can give it a try sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! I just started watching your nail tutorials on youtube :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks a bunch for the tut. You must have practiced a lot if you say you need to do that to get good. 'Cuz you are GOOD!!! Love, love, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're the marble queen and an endless inspiration. I'll have to try someday but I'm a bit afraid. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cool! The pattern reminds me of the stripes on a monarch butterfly caterpillar :) Maybe I'll try this technique with caterpillar colors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent!! It's very beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow you did a great job there! It looks very cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. it's so beautiful!

    do you really have over 1000 nail polishes?
    Wow, i've "just" 140 or so.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so cool! You're just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Colette :)
    I just discover your blog by searching "Water marble" on Google ^^ I really like what you do with your nails, it's so nice :)
    Mëluzynn

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love these videos..! ehh so much info!
    every time i try a water marble it looks yuck tastic..

    the videos really help. your nails are awesome

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG... you marbled so amazingly!!!! my 1st try was a failure...hope I could try again and see beautiful results just like yours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been watching your marbling videos for a few days now, and I am amazed at how good you are at it. But you say you don't show your mistakes. I think you should! They'd make a great example for learning!

    Seriously, would you consider showing some of what you consider mistakes? Maybe a whole blog entry of things that can and do go wrong? I think it could be a GREAT help to all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That came out so cute..I might have to try that this weekend! =)

    Please check out my brand new "STYLE AND EVERYTHING IN-BETWEEN" blog at:

    http://caramelcutie0215.blogspot.com/

    If you like it, follow me =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. i tried your 4th of July video and i loved it thanks

    ReplyDelete
  17. amei seu blog!!! quero te convidar para ir conhecer o meu!!!
    :)
    bjnssss
    Luíza
    http://jornaldaluluteen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wowza! That came out great, and the wonky middle finger just adds interest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. i really love this WM !! i try do to one but i don't realize so beautifull than you !!

    ReplyDelete
  20. EVERYONE - Thank you all!

    DR4G0NF1Y - That would look awesome!

    LAYNIE - Main problem is I usually curse a blue streak when I mess up LOL, and I try to keep my videos clean =) I do have one video, the Poolside rainbow #1, where I mess up a nail & show how to clean it up, but that's it so far =)

    ReplyDelete
  21. what kind of nail polish u use?

    ReplyDelete
  22. does it take warm water or polishes that dont dry fast in order to succeed??.... cause i have been trying on this technique and the polish doesnt expand with every additional drop, since the outer circle has already turned into crust...

    ReplyDelete
  23. ohh....i love oll those nail arts u do..they're so nice!!!! :D looking 4ward for more of ur nail art masterpiece!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Girl your video made it to the home page on youtube today ! :D congrats

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just love your technique... Congrats..

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi, your work is nice. I tried, but bulls eye I made became like a thick film and not flexible enough to play with. I use room temperature water filtered by Brita. What wrong? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow this is so cool! Does it still look good if you don't draw the design?

    ReplyDelete
  28. what is the tape around your finger because im wondering if its normal celotape or did you buy it fromthe supplieres?plz help because i cant get started until i know.great nails xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is incredible!
    Can't wait to try this out myself :)
    x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I will read every comment, and try to respond to any questions =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...