Monday, January 2, 2012

2011 Books: 11-25

Ah, books.  Yes, those wonderful things I not only used to have time to read, but posted on about once a month if not more often?  That vastly neglected hobby of mine that hasn't quite fallen by the wayside, but has definitely experienced a severe reduction in the amount of time I can devote to it?  Remember those?

While trying to get caught up with polish pics, I remembered that I am even further behind with my book list.  I only managed one lonesome post over the course of the entire year - but I have still been reading.  Not so much as a few years ago - before I started the blog, I read 130 books in a year; I think that was 2008.  This year I didn't even quite manage to break 60, but I still want to share so I'll be posting up in chunks of about 15 books between my NOTD pics.  Maybe not as much commentary as I've had previously, but this will definitely be on my resolution list to do better with in 2012.

#11
Rachel Caine
Weather Warden Book 1
Paranormal Romance

I'm kind of refreshing my own memory as I go back over these (I do keep a "master" list, separate from these blog posts).  This was a series that had been on my list for a long time, and once I got into it I wished I had gotten around to it sooner =)

#12
Patricia Briggs
Mercy Thompson Book 6
Paranormal Romance

Mercy is one of my favorite characters. I wondered if married life might slow her down but if the honeymoon is any indication, things will stay ... interesting.

#13
Michelle Rowen
Paranormal






#14
Patricia Briggs
Sianim Book 1
Fantasy

This is a reprint of one of Patricia's very first books, and as a writer myself I found it very interesting not only to read some of her older work, but to read the author's note with her own impressions of it around (IIRC) 20 years later

#15
Patricia Briggs
Sianim Book 2
Fantasy





#16
Karen Marie Moning
Fever Book 5
Paranormal

I was soooo looking forward to this one, and it was well, WELL worth the wait.  If you haven't read the Fever series yet, I highly recommend it.  So many paranormal series lately are set in a world where the vampires, werewolves, etc. have already "come out" to the world - and this series starts before that, lets you see how these characters deal with the magical world kind of being revealed right before their eyes as everything starts to go to hell.  I could not predict where this was going, I felt surprised right up until the very end, and it was very, very satisfying.  While this is the last book of the series, I'm glad to know the author will continue to write in this world.

#17
Cat Adams
Blood Singer Book 1
Paranormal

This was a series I hadn't read much about before starting it, I picked it up mainly because I'd enjoyed the Sazi series so much.  And over the course of the series I grew to like it quite a bit - Celia is a smart character, which unfortunately sometimes seems a bit rare.  How often do you find yourself thinking to a character "No!  Don't do that you idiot!  Don't go there without telling someone!  Don't go in the dark basement with no flashlight!" etc.  I didn't experience that with her - things just get totally messed up despite her doing her best to prevent it.

#18
Cat Adams
Blood Singer Book 2
Paranormal





#19
Rachel Caine
Weather Warden Book 2
Paranormal Romance





#20
Richard Castle
Heat Book 1
Mystery

When I learned that there was some ghost writer creating the books from the TV show & writing as Richard Castle, that the actor went to book signings & no one knew who was actually putting pen to paper, I was fascinated.  When I picked it up & realized that it read just like the show watches, I was very pleased – and when I realized that unlike TV, Heat & Rook (Rook – Castle – get it?) actually get together, I was very very happy.  If you like the TV show, the books are a must IMO.

#21
Rachel Caine
Weather Warden Book 3
Paranormal Romance





#22
Tiassa
Steven Brust
Vlad Taltos Book 13
Fantasy

This series is scheduled to be 18 books long IIRC ... but with the time between publications, I hope it's finished before I'm like, 50 LOL.  I try to NOT anticipate the next book too much because I might end up waiting 2 or 3 years between them.

#23
Cat Adams
Blood Singer Book 3
Paranormal Romance

Celia is just drowning in delicious men (thus my classification change from just paranormal to paranormal romance) but unfortunately also trouble ... and demons ... and vampires.

#24
Charlaine Harris
Sookie Stackhouse Book 11
Paranormal Romance

An enjoyable read, but I guess I’m just not that impressed with Sookie overall compared to some of the other series that I’ve been reading.  With less time to read overall, I have to be more selective to a point, and while Sookie is still on my list & I love her - she's no where near the top.

#25
Rachel Caine
Weather Warden Book 4
Paranormal Romance





So, that's installment #1 of me being caught up - there'll be 2 more to get me current & then I can actually move on to 2012 =)

Thanks for reading.

~Colette



6 comments:

  1. Thank you, I will add some of these to my large list of things to read. Do you have a Kindle or a Nook yet by chance?

    ReplyDelete
  2. STEREN AT YOU - I used to write more than I do now - a lot of my writing of course is on my blog so I don't have as much time for stories but I do post some of my poetry on my other blog (which is in the sidebar) =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. RETARDED SMARTIE - I can hardly wait for the last book in the Outcast Season series to come out! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice reading havent read them yet but they look nice :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I will read every comment, and try to respond to any questions =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...